should always receive the Foundation’s attention and grantmaking support.
The Foundation supports programs on the cutting edge of research in specific areas of interest to our Directors that are underfunded or not yet eligible for funding by governmental programs. These programs are typically sponsored by top research institutions, which provide quality assurance oversight and accountability that may not be possible in a less structured environment. Support is often specific to graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, staff scientists or faculty who are at the early stages of their careers. We are particularly interested in programs that encourage early-career scientists to remain engaged in research in their field.
Scientific Research grants are made in the following focus areas:
- Astrophysics/Cosmology – the study of the behavior, physical properties and dynamic processes of celestial objects and related phenomena; and the study of the origin and evolution of the Universe and its largest structures.
- Evolutionary Developmental Biology – a field of biology which synthesizes embryology, molecular and population genetics, comparative morphology, paleontology and molecular evolution to understand the evolution of biodiversity at a mechanistic level.
- Geophysics – the study of the physical processes and phenomena occurring in and on the Earth and in its vicinity.
- We partner with leading medical research institutions to fund programs that seek to develop new, innovative clinical interventions for chronic conditions as well as highly treatable conditions which negatively impact the productivity of large segments of the population.
- In all cases, we focus our medical research funding in areas that improve the quality of life as distinct from solely extending life.
- The Foundation does not accept grantseeker inquiries in medical research.
Brinson Prize Fellowships
Brinson Prize Fellowships are awarded to top U.S. research institutions to support early-career astrophysicists and cosmologists who are committed to chasing bold ideas with creative, nimble and innovative research.